Monday 7 August 2017

UPCYCLING NINETIES/NOUGHTIES LEATHER MIRRORS FOR £1 / £2



Feast your eyes.
I use the term leather loosely,
leather look paper would be more accurate.
These mirrors were everywhere in the 90's and 00's.
They were cheap, on trend
and almost every house still has one lurking somewhere.


Breath in the quality!

This is how I upcycled my two 'gorgeous faux leather' mirrors for £1 each.


Distressed gold mirror.

Gold paint £1 from Poundworld

Starting by the glass, roughly tear a strip, or strips of the leather/paper off.

(I tore just one long strip off mine.)

Put masking tape on the glass or
Hack - if you don't have tape, cut long strips of news paper, wet it and slide it into place.

Roughly slap the gold paint on.
It drags as the 'leather' is a bit too smooth a surface, but sticks to the stripped bits giving a good distressed gold look.


The finished result... love it!

It's now hanging in the budget bathroom makeover.


Black bog oak mirror.

Matt black paint and varnish, £1 each from Poundland
A well used pot, if it stands still, I paint it matt black.

Start at the back of the mirror and carefully peel all the top layer of paper/leather off.


Lightly sand the rough under layer of paper.
Put masking tape on the glass.
Two coats of the matt black paint.
One coat of clear varnish.

Leave to dry for at least a couple of weeks, it takes a while to fully cure on the porous surface.

The finished result, ready to go into the guest room.


Bog oak? No Poundland paint.

I used this in the guest bedroom makeover and I love it now.

I am aware they are not going to fool anyone into thinking I have gone out and spent hundreds on some quality mirrors, more that you don't notice them anymore, they kind of fit into my style now.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig